Friday, January 23, 2009

There's No Place Like London!

Finally - my first real post about being in fab London! The past (nearly) two weeks have absolutely flown by. From arriving and adjusting to flat-hunting, moving into our flat and starting classes, getting my internship sorted out and exploring the city it's been a crazy time. But crazy in a good way. 

When I arrived at Logan Monday, January 13th, with Mom and Frances, Dad was there to say my Virgin Atlantic flight had been cancelled. It was good it was, firstly because it had "mechanical problems" and I would not want to be in the air when that was happening. Secondly, I ended up on a British Airways flight that left an hour and forty-five minutes earlier (and according to Katie, Virgin doesn't have comfortable seats). Two other students and I were on it, and we became the third through fifth students to arrive - at 5 am London time, by the way. There were crazy severe delays for everyone else, so no one really arrived until about noon. 

Katie (my really good friend from the Catholic Community) and I were already definitely living together, and we connected with Clara, Jackie, Alyssa, and Josue. We got a really nice flat after checking out about eight others. It's on Edgware Road, right between the Edgware Road and Marble Arch tube stops. Here's the Marble Arch, as you see it from the tube stop.

This is Alyssa and Josue in our front hallway with all our suitcases. Look at the pretty floor!
This is four of the six of us - Katie, Jackie, Clara, and me - for our first dinner in the flat! 
After buying some very well priced sheet sets and duvets at Marks & Spencers, Katie and I felt pretty at home in our room. It would just be a lot nicer if we could use the Internet, seeing as every other part of the flat gets service (when our wireless decides to work). But since we at least get Internet in our flat - and it's included - I'm not complaining too much. 

This is our living room, or common room, or whatever your region and/or nationality would call it. It's pretty nice, we have two leather (or faux-leather) couches, and a TV. Albeit, I had to disentangle all the wires to get our cable service up, but at least we get a good 20+ channels. Which means we can watch Skins!
Our living room is also a our dining room. Most of us spend most of our time out here. Say hi Katie!
Around the corner from the main hall (I can't believe we have a main hall) is Alyssa and Joe's door, on the far right, and one of our bathrooms. The other one is in Jackie and Clara's room, but we all use it. 

2 comments:

missing new england said...

Love your flat! Looks like you have a good amount of space. Nice to see your roommates also. Talked to your folks today...they had just been talking to you so I heard about your job. You sound like you're having a wonderful time. Keep up the blog!

Love, Mary Anne

IC Catholic Community said...

Anne! I love your pictures and everything! It looks like you're having so much fun! I'd love to hear about what's going on with internships, etc. Miss ya!

<3 Katharina