Sunday, January 11, 2009

Golden Globes Live Blog!!

8:04 - And the awards show starts off brilliantly: Kate Winslet wins!! Oh, she deserved it - well, I can't really say that because I haven't seen all the nominated women in the Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture, but my goodness, she's one of the best actresses of our day - and she's only 33! My hetero crush on her knows no bounds, and isn't abating in the slightest thanks to her adorable acceptance speech. I love it when stars acknowledge how much they want to win awards, cue her comment that she's going long because, "I don't get to do this much." Ugh, 

8:07 - Sting looks strange. I thought his hair was blond. And I've never seen him with a beard. 

809 - I don't listen to Bruce Springsteen's music (Erin will hate that), but his comment just after receiving the GG for Best Original Song for a Motion Picture was very funny! "This is the only time I'm going to be in competition for something with Clint Eastwood." Points for that, Mister. 

8:13 - I have been seeing the He's Just Not That Into You trailer for months. MONTHS. I'm glad it's finally coming out. I do have the sneaking suspicion that it will be one of those the-trailer-was-5-times-better-than-the-actual-film movies. 

8:15 - That little startled look shudder from NPH just became my second Made Me Love You Even Better Moment of the night! Sadly he'll have to wait till (hopefully) next year for a Best Supporting Actor in a Television Show or Miniseries. Dude needs some recognition. Tom Wilkinson did do a fabulous job as Ben Franklin in John Adams though. 

8:19 - And the first Blunt Political Statement of the Night goes to Laura Dern. She was accepting her Best Supporting Actress in a Television Show or Miniseries award for her role in Recount

8:26 - Don Cheadle, you need your own comedy show. Though he's so refined, it'd have to be on a cable network (read HBO). 

8:27 - Really? Eva Mendes needs Latino music because she's a Latina? But the little Hispanic man she introduced is so adorable! 

8:28 - I'm not a fan of Hayden Panettiere, but I love her dress! Notice I'm ignoring her co-presenter, partly because I do not want to ever acknowledge him, partly because I do not want to ever acknowledge that he was slightly hot just now. 

8:29 - Ah, I was looking forward to another hilarious Hugh Laurie acceptance speech for Best Actor in a Drama Series. And I couldn't even look at Gabriel Byrne during his acceptance because he's not there!

8:31 - I wanna be Anna Paquin. Minus the gap in her teeth. 

8:33 - ...and if there weren't a lot of people's jobs on the line, I would want Cadillac to go out of business, just so I could stop watching those annoying ads featuring Kate Walsh and other people I have never heard of. 

8:36 - I hate to say this, because I love me (more than) some Hugh Jackman, but Ricky Gervais should probably be hosting the Oscars. Telling Kate Winslet she'd win by doing a Holocaust movie? Telling the movie stars to shhhsh? Brilliant! 

8:39 - Then the Hollywood Foreign Press Association had to ruin my good mood by putting the Jo Bros up on stage. 

8:40 - How could anything but Wall*E win Best Animated Motion Picture. 

8:42 - I didn't know Johnny Depp presented awards! His every facial expression, movement, and pronunciation makes me giggle. 

8:44 - Sally Hawkins is extremely skinny. This is not what I should be focusing on, her speech accepting for Best Actress in a Drama Motion Picture is sweet, her emotions genuine, but man, the woman should be getting seconds and thirds on her meal back at the table!

8:52 - Were Robert Downey Jr. and Brad Pitt just sitting at the same table? Whatever, time for some Benjamin Button!!

8:53 - I now have the insane urge to see Bernard and Doris. And an intense attraction to Thomas Jefferson. That's not a new attraction though. And John Adams wins Best Made for Television Movie or Miniseries. Tom Hanks can still rock a tux. He'll always be able to. 

8:57 - I wish Robert Downey Jr. could win. But he can't. Because Heath Ledger did give the best performance of the year, let alone a Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture worthy performance.

8:59 - I've started to cry. 

9:05 - I feel like a lot of awards have been handed out in the first hour. Good pacing, Golden Globes. 

9:06 - Colin Farrell. MMMmm. 

9:09 - ____'s acceptance for Best Foreign Language Feature should be a lesson on how NOT to make a needless blunt political statement. 

9:11 - Laura Linney's dress is gorgeous. And she really did a magnificent job as Best Actress in a Made for Television Movie or Miniseries Abigail Adams. Though I've started to wonder, why are there men practically lifting the women onto the stage? The stairs can't be that slippery, can they?

9:17 - Was Gerard Butler trying to imitate Ricky Gervais when he shhshed the crowd? That's a very strange twist of the normal workings of the world. 

9:19 - Oh, best Adapted Screenplay! Yay, Slumdog Millionaire! Though his shirt does not fit well under his jacket. 

9:21 - No Amy Poehler banter? What a shame. 

9:22 - Except it's ok, because Tony Shaloub didn't win! Alec Baldwin deserves all the praise he gets for his now two-time Best Actor in a Comedy Television Series role. I love 30 Rock with a burning passion. 

9:28 - There are lots of ads, and they are very long. I do not approve...Whoa, WHAT is Renee Zellweger wearing? The top? The skirt? The hair? The HAIR?! None of it works. 

9:30 - The Hollywood Foreign Press Association is not doing a terrific job of pairing the presenters this year. Terrance Howard and Meghan Fox go together about as well as steak and a twizzler. 

9:32 - John Adams is cleaning up. Though it's not as if I'm surprised. Paul Giamatti did a terrific job. A good deal of that acting job was the makeup and costumes, I'm sure. It couldn't be hard to get into the character and the age through all those years with such a terrific job of transformation.

9:36 - Tracy Morgan cracks me up every time he is on screen in 30 Rock. Except from his short-lived sitcom, Tracy. 

9:44 - Ohh, I love the score awards. The beginning of Slumdog Millionaire's ongoing sweep. Benjamin Button would have been a very deserving recipient of it too. 

9:48 - Tina Fey is a genius (apparently supported by the hilarity of Will Arnett). 

9:55 - I had no idea Stephen Spielberg was this year's recipient of the Cecille B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award. I'm enjoying this more, since I just watched Sunset Blvd. Though that was a very strange-sounding narration by Martin Scorsese. 

10:07 - I wonder if Spielberg hasn't gotten this award before because he's young for his prolific output of work. His speech was as fun and well crafted as his movies - some history, a personal touch, and the cute Stephen Spielberginess that makes you love his movies. 

10:13 - And there Emma Thompson goes with the "shhshing" - what is up with that? No wonder Last Chance Harvey is getting such rave reviews, Dustin Hoffmann and Emma have such awesome chemistry. Also, congrats to Danny Boyle, Best Director of a Motion Picture. 

10:20 - Sandra Bullock does very well presenting on her own. My mom stayed up just to see her. 

10:21 - Colin Farrell is a seriously underrated actor; I'm so happy he won Best Actor in a Comedy Motion Picture. I do want to see In Bruges. Good thing I'm going to London tomorrow, I'll get to hear many, many gorgeous accents just like Colin's. 

10:27 - I want Salma Hayek's dress. And her body. Though her strange attraction and complimenting of bestie Penelope Cruz isn't quite up my alley. (I shouldn't talk, actually. I'm very physical with my besties - to their horror). 

10:29 - Sasha Baron Cohen is following in the line of the other hilarious Brits of the night with some biting zingers the crowd of celebrities did not seem to appreciate. Can't Hollywood laugh at itself? Oh, and Vicky Christina Barcelona wins Best Motion Picture Comedy. If it's as good a dark comedy as Match Point was a domestic thriller, then I'd be very excited to see it. 

10:36 - "I would do a pelvic Indian dance for you, but they would shoot me off the stage." What's this guy's name? He's witty!

10:38 - That little exchange between Cameron Diaz and Mark Whalberg was weird. Moving past that...

10:39 - KATE WINSLET WINS AGAIN! FOR BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA MOTION PICTURE! She's finally getting emotional, good! She deserves to be as flustered as she wants, the awards for her tonight have been a long, long time coming. No duh she's not wrapping up! 

10:43 - Oh Rainn. Well, the dresses the ladies of Best Drama Television Series winner Mad Men are wearing are very, very pretty. 

10:51 - Micky Rourke wins Best Actor in a Drama Motion Picture. I have to say, kudos to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for giving virtually every winner the time to speak and thank everyone. 

10:59 - And the Golden Globe for Best Drama Motion Picture is Slumdog Millionaire! That shot of Christina Applegate saying "That's good" was nice. Congrats to the movie and all who made it. Thanks to the celebrities for showing up for food and drinks, and to the unions for not being on strike this year. Good night!

No comments: