Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's Inauguration Live Blog

OMG, I'm in London!! 

It's strange to think just one week ago I got here. I already have a flat (with 5 other awesome people) and an internship (at Pioneer Productions). I've been so busy with everything - not to mention a lack of Internet access - I haven't been able to post. But this is such a momentous day, I had to write something. 

Katie and I started off the day going to Madame Tussauds. Admission was free for Americans, woot!! Katie'd never been to one, so it was super fun, and all the attendants were really excited we were American. I'll post later with some more pictures from it, but here's Obama. 

Now, to the Inauguration itself. We're watching it on BBC News. 

16:56 - Aretha Franklin just finished singing "My Country Tis of Thee." She was wearing the most interesting hat. They're showing a shot of the Mall, and it's just staggering how many people are there. 

16:58 - Biden has officially been sworn in as our Vice President. I was going to say 44th Vice President, but there have totally been more than that. That's something to look up. Oh, there's only been 46 previously. 

17:00 - The BBC announcers are talking over Yo-Yo Ma playing. And they're mentioning William Henry Harrison, and his long speech that made him catch pneumonia and die. Let's home that's not the case here. Though I think Obama is smarter than that. 

17:03 - There are definitely elements of "The Lord of the Dance" song in this composition. I don't know if that's intentional, but it made me happy. All I can think of now is Ursuline Masses. 

17:04 - I just noticed there are blue skies in Washington. That's a good sign. 

17:05 - There he goes...

17:06 - ...And we have a 44th President of the United States!!  Congratulations President Barack Obama. Godspeed. 

17:13 - As always, it's sounding eloquent and powerful, planted in realism but full of hope. 

17:26 - Good speech. 20 minutes isn't too long, but he was able to touch on the myriad of issues we're facing today as Americans. Though he's right, we're not nearly living in the worst days American has seen. Hopefully, we won't go further in the negative directions. 

17:28 - This poet is reading so slowly. It's a little annoying. Though I'm sure the words are very nice. 

17:32 - Who is this woman introducing everyone? What did she do to deserve this distinction. 

17:33 - Everyone else in my flat just laughed at the adorable little old Reverend giving the Benediction. I think he is adorable. I love little old men. His eyes are on the same level as the mic! Jackie also mentioned (sarcastically) that this shows a real separation of Church and State. Which is true. But the US is based on Judea-christian values, so in that sense it makes sense. 

17:37 - He just rhymed all of the colors! "When brown will stick around, when yellow will be mellow, and when white will make things right." Too adorable!

17:39 - And that's it. Happy Inauguration everyone. How many people exactly are in the Mall? 

1 comment:

missing new england said...

Hi Anne,

Very well said. I also watched on TV but cousin Carrie - who now works in DC - tried to get as close as she could but was only able to watch it on the jumbo tron. When I spoke to her last night she said it was exciting just to be there.

Love reading your comments....keep them coming.

Tracy and Craig send their love.

Love you.....MaryAnne