Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Lost" Revisted: "The Beginning of the End"

As a means of satiating my hunger for Lost and giving this blog a feeling of legitimacy (and procrastinating the actual work I have to do) I have decided to start a regular feature. Each week, I'll recap at least one episode of Lost from season 4. Part analysis, part recap, all mushy fan-love, it'll be a good prep for the coming Lost penultimate season.

So lets begin, shall we?

Hurley's exclamation about being one of the oceanic six isn't a mystery anymore - if you don't know that those are Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sun, and Aaron, well then you live ON the Island (by the way, out of respect for the Island as a character, I'll be capitalizing it).

The thing that puzzles me is why exactly Hurley is so susceptible to visions, hallucinations, generally going crazy. Maybe it's his gift, having a connection to the world of the dead, like Walt's special powers. Or Locke's understanding of the Island. It just makes me sad he's in the Loony Bin.

I'm surprised Locke killed Naomi. Of all the characters, I feel he and Hurley are the least likely to kill anyone. I would say Claire, too, but I she is so protective of Aaron she would kill someone for him. There's a fierce streak in her. But Locke's gift is that he's not a ruthless as Ben, and therefore a better leader for the Others and the Island in general. He has come so close to killing but been unable to in the past.

Oh, it is so sad to hear Ben say Rousseau has to take Alex away. Given the awful things that happen in "The Shape of Things to Come."

Ok, this will reveal the fullness of my Lost geek-itude/obsession, but all I can think about when Hurley jumps into the water is how Jorge jumped into the water after finishing the filming of the pilot (revealed in the season 1 extras).

I spent the entire summer contemplating the reactions of people to the news of Charlie's death. When I first saw "The Beginning of the End" when it aired, I was highly underwhelmed. Being able to see the reaction shots of those on the beach again, they are completely appropriate.

Ah, Fisher Stevens (aka Chuck from Early Edition!) is the voice of Minkowski now! I knew that he wasn't in the previous season finale, but he's clearly the voice on the phone now!

Jack has gone crazy with...something. Not power, Jack is not a man who needs to rule. He (as has been clearly established by flashbacks, his actions on the Island, everything) needs control. while I have come to highly dislike the character of Jack, he's a pompous control-freak so obsessed with his own beliefs the well-being of others is compromised, Matthew Fox's quality as an actor to convincingly portray such a complex - and to some dislikable - character is truly wonderful. And if you need any proof that Jack is not this great savior, a real knight in shining armor, more of a hero than Sawyer, look no further than the fact that he ACTUALLY PULLS THE TRIGGER ON LOCKE!

ARGH! Lance Reddick is probably one of the creepiest looking people out there. And he is a superb actor. He infuses every word with intensity. I am so sad he's a series regular on Fringe (well, not sad for the quality of Fringe) but I think it means he'll not be as regular on Lost as I would like. Hopefully before the end he'll have some scenes with Michael Emerson, and more with Terry O'Quinn, because those fabulous actors would play off each other like nobody's business.

I need to who Abaddon is working for, and in what capacity. Well, let me qualify that. I'm pretty sure he's working for Widmore, though there's something about his demeanor that makes me think he could be a plant in Widmore's ranks.

I am still convinced he, Widmore, Alpert, and others are survivors of the Black Rock crash on the Island.

The actress who plays Naomi was recently on something else. I can't remember what it was.

Ok, so if Christian Shephard was sitting in the chair, does that mean John Locke had seen him before meeting him in the finale? Or was Hurley's ability to see Christian for a moment like Locke's seeing him for a moment in the season 3 finale? I think that's how I'll see things.

What were they all leaning against? Oh, the cockpit. I see.

Juliet just had the most hilarious look on her face when everyone else cocked the guns.

So, I still cry when Hurley tells Claire Charlie's dead. Cause it is really sad. He had been one of the main survivors over the course of three full seasons. Though Charlie wasn't always the most well-served character ("Fire+Water" was one of the worst episodes of Lost, IMHO)

But man did he (Dom) look good with short hair and aviators. This conversation is chock full of fabulous lines and acting. I can tell Jorge and Dom probably had a lot of fun getting back together for a day of shooting. "I am here. You're being a baby." And what fortuitousness about "They need you." It's all set-up for the finale.

Jack has also got some serious rage issues.

Though I love Jorge, he's a great actor, Hurley's big monalogue is a bit contrived. I just don't like the dialogue that much. That's ok, the flash-forward scene makes up for it.

"Jack, with your permission, I would like to go with John" has got to be one of the best lines, and line deliveries, in this series' history. If only for the context.

Ok, so Jack. You WOULD look bad with a beard. You would look like a crazy mountain-man.

I still don't understand why Hurley is sorry he went with Locke. Is it because that caused Jack and Sawyer to go after him, thereby causing them to be later to the copter, thereby causing them to lose Jin? I still don't know.

And with the introduction of Daniel Faraday, we are introduced to the first of the Freighter Folk. Overall, I feel they were better additions than the Tailies. Though I loved Eko and Bernard, and would have loved to know more about Libby, their intro was a little sloppy, part of the reason season 2 was the weakest so far.

And so, thus ends what could have been an insanely long foray into the world of Lost.

Next time on Lost Revisited: We meet the key members of the Freighter Folk, Locke is a little, well, lost, and Jack gets a little gun-happy.

BOOM

No comments: