Friday, October 31, 2008

'Lost' Revisited: "Confirmed Dead"


Previously on Lost...man, do I love that deep deep voice. I would love to know who says that. 


I didn't participate in "The Lost Experience" the summer between the second and third seasons, mostly because I was in Maine most of the summer, without internet access. Last summer, between the third and fourth seasons, I was a little more into it, watching some of the videos of the boyfriend of a stewardess, and of course I watched all of the Missing Pieces.


It was great how they made them somewhat mundane, but a quite fun moments for fans of the show, at least until the last Missing Piece, with Christian Shephard BEING ALIVE*.


MASSACHUSETTS!! (sorry, I always gotta recognize my roots) I don't know why Dan is so freaked out. We still don't know by the end of the season. Maybe it has to do with the time travel, like what happened to Desmond in "The Constant?" 


Man, Daniel (Jeremy Davies) is great in his delivery. His voice goes up along with his body "Along with the phone."


That image of Locke standing in the clearing in the rain is so quintessential John Locke. I wish I had as much clarity as that man has (at least sometimes). 


I love Sawyer, but really, man cannot pull off wet hair as sexy. 


The great thing about Lost is, like life, you never know where people are coming from, or where they're going. It's strange, how despite the fact that there are flash backs and forwards, everything feels so present. 


Miles Straume!! A number one, that has to be one of the best names ever. Not only is it cool, but very loaded with the connotations of maelstrom. Ken Leung is very attractive as well. I can't wait to learn more about Miles, there are so many places his character can go, so much we don't know. 


I am with the line of thinking that Miles "saw" that Claire was dead in the season finale, that is why he is looking at her funny. Did he maybe have previous contact with the Island, is that why he can talk to dead people? Could there possibly be some Firestarter connotation about the DHARMA Initiative and the Island, tests done on people, who then had children also with special abilities? 


Dude, what is that machine? And he better be involved more next season. 


Again, Ben is amazing. I still think he's a bad man. Willing to sacrifice most people. But how he delivers all his lines, like "Carl, now if you're going to sleep with my daughter I insist you call me Ben," oh so great. 


I completely did not get the possible moment of realization for Sawyer of getting Ben in front of his daughter. It must have gotten him thinking about HIS daughter, Clementine. Is that possibly what got him thinking that finally resulted in what he said to Kate in the finale?


Kate's look at Dan when he talks about the light, too magnificent. 


I love the mirroring in this show. Like just now, how they make a mini ambush of Miles and Dan. Then in the later end of the season, how the Others ambush Kate and Sayid. It's like how the music gets repeated themes, but changed, throughout the show.


Charlotte Staples Lewis. There is so much about faith in this show. 


The reveal of the polar bear skeleton was so shocking when the episode first aired. Now, obviously, it must have gotten to Tunisia via the Orchid station and its chamber, coming from the Hydra as we learned. 


Miles gets the line of the night with "Oh my God, you guys were on Oceanic 815! Wow, that better?"


This violin work sounds like Psycho. I do love it though. So ominous. And yet, it's for nothing. Brilliant.


Frank Lapidus is pretty great in this scene. By the way, gotta love the Greg Grunberg picture with the mustache. Now, what happened to Frank that brought him from flying for Oceanic to the Bahamas? Hopefully that's a thing we'll find out (eventually). 


Oh, silly Ben! Don't try to shoot people!


Is it just me, or does Franks forehead wound look like Charlie's from the first season finale? Aw, I miss him.


Lance Reddick is magnificent. I won't reiterate too much.


This whole scene, Locke readying to kill Ben, Ben's staggering to save himself, Alex not willing to see her, albeit manipulative father die, Charlotte's reaction shots, the weight of why they have been sent to capture Ben, it is all so intricate. The question is, does Ben really know what the Monster is. I know he can "control" or "summon" it, but does he know what makes it up? And knowing now that it is Michael on the boat...well, it doesn't add that much, to be frank. 


So that's that. Next time on Lost: Sayid has creepy straightened hair in the future, and kills people while in cahoots with Ben. Also, the Losties participate in some human trafficing!


BOOM.


*I'm not sure he really is alive, but he's walking 

No comments: