Sunday, July 12, 2009

What's It All About, Andy Rooney?

Whist flipping around the telly this evening, I happened on footage of fruit and an old man saying "mangoes." Well, of course I had to check it out. At the sight of shaky old hands and a distinctive whiny voice I realized it was Andy Rooney talking about fruit. And what was he saying about fruit? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. All I gathered from it was 1) There are a lot of fruits, 2) most are exotic, 3) Andy has not tried/does not like most of them, and 4) tomatoes should be with vegetables.

The complete uselessness of this segment of 60 Minutes got me thinking: what use does Andy Rooney serve? It's not his age - though I can't quite understand why, at 90, he doesn't want to take a break, go fishing, or take a nap in an easy chair - I mean, 87-year-old Christopher Lee has at least 5 films yet to be released, Maya Angelou is 81 and still working, and Sean Connery is still an inspiration to women around the world at 79. I guess I just have no stomach for solely opinion-based commentary when done is such an obnoxious manner.

Also, he didn't like mangoes. And, well, I have no use for people who don't care for mangoes. But that's just my opinion.

No comments: